A Travellerspoint blog

New Zealand - Day Thirteen

Friday 16th April 2010

sunny 18 °C
View Unnamed Trip on thedeanies's travel map.

Up very early for me and Andy and yes you guessed it…….. The boys decided to have a lie in!! We had to drag them out of bed and bundle them in the car to get to the ferry terminal and drop off the car in time.

The next stage in our journey, a ferry crossing from the North Island to the South Island.

Apparently our ferry used to be the Pride of Cherbourgh!! The ferry was well equipped with toys, tellys and a childrens play area but as soon as we got out of Welly harbour it was rough as. People were puking all around us but were the boys bothered…..no….they both found it hilarious to try and walk round the ship in a straight line!!

When we entered the Charlotte Sounds at the top of the South Island calmness prevailed and we all went out onto the deck to admire the scenery. Beautiful. We had left a wet, windy Welly and gone towards the sun once again. We were met at the ferry terminal by a lovely Scottish bloke who took us to our campervan.

After reems of paperwork the van was ours….our home for the next seven days…help! Andy, the star volunteered to drive and also be poo/wee empting representative….phew! With Ollie and I in the back and Fin as co-pilot for Andy we set off. We chose the wiggliest road as our first journey and learnt the hard way that you cannot leave anything out on the work surfaces. There was stuff everywhere!! Andy and Fin were happy as in the front as the van is similar to Andy’s Dads old vans but I was scrabbling round in the bumpy back trying to catch the debris!!

After a visit to the supermarket we went hardcore straight away and decided to camp at one of the Dept of Conservation campsites, meaning NO FACILITIES!!
It was idyllic and on the edge of the sounds (bays). We unpacked as best we could as we realised we couldn’t possibly live out of the cases and cooked as best we could before putting the boys to bed in the top cabin. Luckily even though it was Ollies first time sleeping in a proper bed they settled very quickly and with Fin blocking the gap we felt they would be safe staying up top together.

Andy and I cracked open a bottle of red and finished the Kapiti cheese I had so cleverly carried all the way over on the ferry. Making plans for the next day we changed the seating area into a giant bed and went to sleep hoping one of the boys wouldn’t fall out of the top cabin!!

Posted by thedeanies 17:00 Archived in New Zealand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint